Manheim, a division of Cox Automotive and the world’s largest automotive services business, has announced a historic deal with Network Rail.
The new partnership is Manheim UK’s largest ever utility fleet remarketing contract win. It will see the leading commercial vehicle auction company remarket 7,000 vehicles for Network Rail over three years on a sole supplier basis.
Using Manheim’s multi-award winning swift de-fleet process, the Network Rail vehicles will be comprehensively prepared pre-sale. This will include 360-degree turntable HD imagery and electronic inspections.
Network Rail will work with Manheim to ensure all de-fleeted vehicles are presented for an MOT prior to sale, underlining the safety culture embodied by Network Rail’s ‘everyone home safe every day’ initiative.
The fleet of 7,000 owned vehicles, 80% of which are light commercials, include car derived vans, panel vans and specialist messing units as well as 4x4s and pick-ups. The remaining 20% are cars.
James Davis, director of commercial vehicles at Manheim said:
This is a proud moment for Manheim, we are so pleased to be working with Network Rail.
“The partnership will be a rare opportunity to launch a highly prestigious household name into the UK wholesale auction marketplace.
He added: “As the leading commercial vehicle auction company we have the expertise to deliver an unrivalled experience for Network Rail and the Manheim CV team is already hard at work preparing the market for the first sale. The response to date from buyers has been overwhelming, and they are all keen to secure an additional source of quality vehicles to satisfy retail demand.”
Underpinning the contract win, Manheim is set to deliver two new initiatives under the Public Services Social Value Act. This requires suppliers to demonstrate value add activities for society throughout the contract term. In what is believed to be a first for any remarketing business, Manheim will employ an apprentice to support contract delivery for Network Rail as well as undertaking a carbon offset tree planting programme.
The launch sales for Network Rail will be held in October at Manheim’s Birmingham and Shepshed auction centres. All vehicles will be offered for sale with full and comprehensive service records and ownership documentation to demonstrate provenance, along with a fresh MOT.
Network Rail operates a diverse fleet of cars and commercial vehicles to help manage its 20,000 miles of track, 40,000 bridges and viaducts and thousands of tunnels, signals and level crossings.