A Flogas Britain fleet engineer has scooped a national industry award, after support from professional peers saw him crowned 2018 Fleet Engineer of the Year by the Institute of Road Transport Engineers (IRTE).
Stephen Moir – who has more than a decade of transport industry experience – was presented with the award at the IRTE Conference dinner on the 26th September, held at the Leicester Marriott Hotel.
The IRTE’s expert judging panel noted Moir’s hands-on approach to making Flogas’ commercial vehicle operations more efficient. They also praised his commitment to ensuring a safe, compliant and efficient fleet for the leading LPG (liquefied petroleum gas) and LNG (liquefied natural gas) supplier.
After receiving his award, Stephen said: “I’m thrilled to have received the award for the IRTE Fleet Engineer of the Year 2018. This award is particularly special to me because the people that judge and review the entries are all professional peers, working in the industry and with a thorough understanding of the job, which makes the win even more significant for me.
“There are many people within the transport industry who drive development and change on a daily basis and I feel very humbled to have been selected from such a rich and experienced pool of talent. I strongly believe that the investigation and adoption of new technologies is a very important part of a fleet engineer’s role and can add real value to an operation, and I am so pleased that this was highlighted as one of the main reasons for being given this award”.
As part of his role as Fleet Manager, Moir has implemented a raft of improvements to enhance operations at Flogas. This includes:
- The fitment of Vision Techniques’ Brakesafe technology: a safety device that prevents delivery vehicles from rolling away once the driver steps out of the cab. Flogas is the first gas company to use Breaksafe Technology as standard, reducing risk and guarding against unwanted accidents
- New measures to ensure the highest standards of compliance and best practice across Flogas’ supplier network
- Developing inspection guidelines to identify break wear and minor issues during routine inspections, so repairs are made pre-emptively, for minimal downtime
- Design work, helping develop a new curtainside design for Flogas’ 3.5t vehicles, enclosing cylinders for improved cylinder protection and driver safety. The new design is also more aero-dynamic, secure and allows for vehicle marketing opportunities thanks to its fitted advertising banners
- Running fuel trials to improve fuel efficiency and lower costs (analysing fuel consumption data between nine Mercedes-Benz Actros 6×2 tractors and nine MAN vehicles). Additional driver training has also helped boost vehicle efficiencies
Lee Gannon, Managing Director at Flogas Britain, added: “As a company operating a fleet of around 400 commercial vehicles, at Flogas we take transport seriously – so we’re very proud that Stephen has won such a prestigious industry award, especially one judged by a panel of IRTE members. It’s a worthy recognition of his work to improve transport safety, efficiency and operations at Flogas on a day-to-day basis, and we continue to see positive results as our new processes take effect. Keeping our fingers on the pulse of the transport industry developments and reacting appropriately as a business is vital if we’re going to move forward with smarter ways of working, and Stephen’s achievements in the last year have really helped us do that.”
The IRTE Fleet Engineer of the Year Awards recognise excellence in individuals managing road-going transport fleets. The award is open to any engineers working in road transport, including those working in light and heavy goods vehicles, buses and coaches and the armed forces, and is judged by an expert panel.